CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: CUBAN-EUROPEAN YOUTH ACADEMY 2018
Transatlantic semi-staged orchestra project / direction: Thomas Hengelbrock
The Cuban-European Youth Academy („CuE“) is an innovative exchange programme for Cuban and European musicians. The centerpiece of the programme are transatlantic orchestra projects that were initiated by the Balthasar Neumann Academy and the Rheingau Music Festival in summer 2015. Ever since, the projects have taken place regularly in Germany or Havana. The next edition will be launched in summer 2018 in cooperation with the Ruhrtriennale. Nearly 80 musicians from Cuba and Europe will work on orchestra repertoire, play chamber music and get individual classes.
• The project will take place from 10 – 24 September 2018 in the Music Academy in Heek as well as in Dortmund.
• Selected musicians are invited to take part in the academy after having passed an audition and will receive a full scholarship (travel, board and lodging, lessons, workshops).
• The focus will be to work on a contemporary symphonic repertoire by Cuban and European composers.
• Moreover, participants will have the possibility to take individual and chamber music lessons.
• In addition, workshops about contemporary Cuban music culture (dance, rhythm, traditional music styles, improvisation for strings and winds) will be offered.
23.09.2018 | Essen | Ruhrtriennale
Jenny Peña Campo: Cuban Dance Suite (2017)
Jan Müller Wieland: „Maria“ – Oratorio for Choir, Orchestra, Soloists and Actors (premiere)
…as well as further works
Auditions in Europe
Woodwinds and Brass: 09.04.2018 in Dortmund
Strings: 08.04.2018 in Vienna / 10.04.2018 in Dortmund / 11.04. in Freiburg
The audition repertoire will be announced once the application has been submitted.
Unfortunately, travel expenses cannot be reimbursed. Audition dates in Cuba will be announced separately.
This call for applications is addressed to interested music students up to the age of 28, with experience in ensemble and orchestral playing, and with interest in an international project.
Please send your application
• until 15 March 2018
• with a CV, photograph, date of birth, contact details and motivation letter
• via email to: email@example.com
You can here download the call for applications as a pdf: CuE 2018 call for applications