#CAMPUS22 – BALTHASAR NEUMANN ACADEMY
For many years, Thomas Hengelbrock and the Ensembles have supported young musicians in the Balthasar Neumann Academy. The integration of the Academy into the artistic work of the ensembles is a core element of the identity and is constantly being expanded in various areas. The ensembles and the academy pursue a holistic approach that goes far beyond instrumental training and live the European idea. For more than five years, young Cuban musicians have also been supported within the framework of the Cuban-European Youth Academy. The Academy promotes transatlantic cultural exchange and offers diverse training and further education opportunities on both sides of the Atlantic.
In summer 2022, a transatlantic orchestra project with members from the Balthasar Neumann Choir & Ensemble and young musicians from all over Europe and from Cuba will be organized.
- The project will take place from 12 – 23 July 2022 in the “Waldhotel am See” close to Berlin with closing concerts set in Hamburg.
- Selected musicians are invited to take part in the academy project after having passed an audition.
- The focus will be to work on the orchestra programme as listed below. String players will be required to play on gut strings and to use a baroque bow for the Bach choir.
- Moreover, participants will have the possibility to take individual and chamber music lessons.
- In addition, workshops about contemporary Cuban music culture (dance, rhythm, traditional music styles, improvisation for strings and winds) as well as on historical performance practice and non-musical topics, e.g. related to Europe, will be offered.
21.07.2022 Hamburg, KZ Neuengamme | Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival
22.07.2022 Hamburg, Halle 424 | Chamber Music Concert
J.S. Bach: Opening Choir from St. Matthew Passion BWV 244
F.A. Zimmermann: Ekklesiastische Aktion
J. Brahms: A German Requiem op. 45
Balthasar Neumann Choir | Knabenchor St. Nikolai | Balthasar Neumann Academy | Cuban-European Youth Academy | Balthasar Neumann Ensemble
Jenny Daviet, Soprano | Georg Nigl, Baritone
Musical Direction: Thomas Hengelbrock
Participation in the Academy project is free of charge. The Balthasar Neumann Choir and Ensemble e.V. will also cover travel expenses, accommodation and a daily allowance of EUR 50 / day.
The project is addressed to interested music students up to the age of 28, with experience in ensemble and orchestral playing, and with interest in an international project.
The application deadline for the project is already over. Applications are currently not possible.
The Balthasar Neumann Academy was founded by Thomas Hengelbrock and the Balthasar Neumann Ensembles. The transatlantic project #Campus22 is realized in cooperation with international project partners and with the support of numerous institutions and individuals.
+49 40 360 361 814