For many years, the Balthasar Neumann Academy has offered a wide range of courses for music students and young professionals, but so far exclusively for instrumentalists. In 2022, an academy for young professional singers will be offered for the first time. This ie led by Lionel Sow (Choir Director, Chœur de l’Orchestre de Paris) and Detlef Bratschke (Choir Director, Balthasar Neumann Choir). The Festspielhaus Baden-Baden and the Château de Fontainebleau are cooperation partners of the Singers’ Academy, which is funded within the framework of the “Young Perspectives” programme of the State of Baden-Württemberg.
After the application process a total of 16 singers (four academists per voice group) was selected. The Singers’ Academy took place in the Château de Fontainebleau (France) from 27.04. – 01.05.2022: Under the direction of Lionel Sow, Detlef Bratschke, Jakob Pilgram and teachers from the Balthasar Neumann Choir, the academists worked on sound, flexibility, intonation and ensemble singing in a chamber choir as well as in quartets and sectionals.
After successful participation in the academy, there is the possibility of being invited to productions with renowned partners after the course:
- 16. – 22.07.2022: Brahms Requiem with the Balthasar Neumann Choir and Ensemble at the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival.
- 01. – 13.11.2022: “Cavalleria Rusticana” with the Balthasar Neumann Ensembles at the Autumn Festival in the Festspielhaus Baden-Baden.
Participation in the Singers’ Academy is free of charge. The Balthasar Neumann Choir and Ensemble e.V. will also cover travel expenses, accommodation and a daily allowance of EUR 50 / day.
The academy is aimed at interested singers aged up to 30 years with
- completed or advanced ongoing studies
- experience in ensemble and choral singing
- interest in historical performance practice and authentic sound
- motivation to actively participate in discussions and workshop
The application deadline for the Singers’ Academy 2022 is already over. Applications are currently not possible.
+49 40 360 361 814